Why Choose IMAX?
The IMAX Experience differs significantly from watching a movie in a normal multiplex cinema, here are 6 x main reasons why you should experience a movie at IMAX Melbourne:
- Laser Projection Technology: IMAX Melbourne boasts the world's most technologically advanced and powerful projection system in the world - IMAX LASER, which as the name suggests uses a high-powered laser light engine (rather than traditional xenon lamps) in each of its twin 4K proprietary digital projectors to light the huge screen sheet (see point 2!); thus providing audiences with the sharpest, brightest, clearest and most vivid on screen images ever - watch the video on this page or read more HERE
- Screen Size: Bigger is most definitely better when it comes to experiencing the latest movie blockbusters, and there's no screen bigger than ours! IMAX Melbourne hosts the world’s largest cinema screen (measuring 32m in width by 23m in height) and it's this unrivaled scale allows viewers to be transported right into the action.
- Theatre Geometry: It’s not just the large screen that makes a difference, it’s the shape of the auditorium and how the seats are placed. Many movie auditoriums are long and narrow, to get the most people in, with the screen way off at the far end. The distinctive shape of an IMAX theatre is designed to bring the audience not only closer to the screen, but better-positioned in relation to it. The result is an image that’s wider and higher than your field of view, giving you the feeling you’re part of the action – not just watching it.
- Digital Remastering: As sensational as the image out of our super-star 'bells & whistles' projector is, it can be limited by the quality of the content going into it. The secret sauce in the IMAX mix is DMR – or Digital Re-mastering – a transformative proprietary process that turns an already powerful movie into a breathtaking IMAX blockbuster with unparalleled image and sound quality. IMAX spends months on location and in the editing room with the director and technical teams of each film – meticulously adjusting the saturation, contrast, brightness and hundreds of details in virtually every frame in order to present the movie at its best.
- IMAX Sound: A surprisingly large part of the IMAX experience is the sound. That’s what makes an IMAX movie visceral. You don’t just see a movie in IMAX, you feel it in your bones. One reason is the sheer power of the custom, patented fully immersive 12.1 channel 15,000 watt digital speaker system in an IMAX theatre. Another is the wider frequency response – which means higher highs and lows so low they’re as much vibrations as sounds. The customised theatre geometry also plays its part here as sound is also affected by the room in which the listener sits and as such the theatre is designed as much around the sound output as the on-screen visuals.
- IMAX 3D: The difference between IMAX 3D and regular 3D is as vast as the difference between an IMAX movie and an ordinary one. 3D requires two images – one for the left eye and one for the right eye – to be projected onto the screen at the same time. Whereas most multiplex cinemas utilise one projector to do this, alternating the projection of each eye’s image, IMAX uses two projectors – one dedicated to each eye, ensuring unsurpassed brightness and clarity. Almost all 3D cinemas in multiplexes are compromised in their design, as they are retrofitted 2D cinemas. IMAX Melbourne was designed and purpose built as a 3D theatre from the outset, ensuring only the highest quality 3D experience no matter where you’re seated.
IMAX offers what is simply the finest movie going experience on offer - it's the only choice that discerning movie goers need to make. But please don't take our word for it, come and experience it for yourself, we hope to see you here soon!